Letting property in East London – what documents do landlords need? – DOCKLEYS

Compare Listings

Letting property in East London – what documents do landlords need?

Letting property in East London – what documents do landlords need?

If you’re new to being a landlord, the list of documentation and certificates you need for your property may seem bewildering, expensive, or both! But let me reassure you – all the documentation is surprisingly easy to organise and is also cheaper than the consequences of not having the right paperwork in place. Some documents are a legal requirement, while others are simply good practice and common sense.

Gas safety certificate

If there is a gas supply to the property, by law you must supply the tenants with a gas safety certificate every year. This certificate must be issued by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Dockleys can put you in touch with Gas Safe engineers, but you are free to use your own Gas Safe engineer even if you let your property through us.

Electrical safety certificate and portable appliance testing

It is a legal requirement to ensure that the electricity supply and any electrical items are safe and carry a minimum of the CE marking (European safety standard) before the tenancy begins.

In houses of multiple occupancy (HMOs) it is a legal requirement to have an electrical safety certificate issued every five years, and PAT testing carried out annually. These are not legal requirements for other types of tenancy, but they are recommended. The certificate proves that you property is safe, meaning that you’re covered in case the tenants have any accidents involving electrical items.

Energy performance certificate (EPC)

By law, you must produce the EPC every time your property is bought, sold or rented. The EPC is valid for ten years, and can only be completed by an accredited assessor. It usually costs between £60 and £120. Again, Dockleys can recommend assessors but you are free to use your own even if you let your property through us.

The purpose of an EPC is to detail how energy-efficient the property is and approximately how much it will cost residents in energy bills. Properties are rated from A to G, with A being the most energy-efficient. Since the introduction of the Minimum Energy Efficient Standard last year, all rental properties must be rated E or above. From April 2020, it will be illegal to let a property with a rating of F or G.

As well as helping to reduce carbon footprints, EPCs help tenants to budget for their energy costs. This means it’s easier for tenants to plan ahead and not overstretch themselves or default on the rent – that’s good news for landlords too!

How to Rent

The How to Rent guide was introduced by the government in 2015 and provides an overview of renting and the responsibilities of landlords and tenants. By law, you must provide your tenants with this document. You can do that yourself by email or in hard copy – please let me know if you need any help.

If you have property to rent in East London, get in touch and find out how Dockleys can help. Please give me, Adam Dockley, a call today on 020 3633 4440 – I’d love to hear from you.


Adam Dockley

Related posts

Why move from London to Hertfordshire?

https://youtu.be/vc04Lb_h7Rs Over the twenty years I’ve worked in the South East property...

Continue reading
by Adam Dockley

Looking back on 2020 – an incredible year in the property market

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmMYPQ5vjzw Not only is it nearly the end of the 2020/21...

Continue reading
by Adam Dockley

Why buy property in an East London skyscraper?

I can’t help but feel excited at the new buildings springing up all over East London. The...

Continue reading
by Adam Dockley